Friday, August 8, 2008

MECHANIZED Cold War Canucks

I finished up a couple of M113s this week to mechanize my first company of Cold War Canadians.

(Remember: click on the pictures for a bigger version)


The M113s are Italeri plastic model kits. I have two more in boxes to be assembled and painted, plus I’ve ordered an Easy Model pre-assembled and painted 1:72 M113 (which will be repaineted to match the others – hopefully it will be the same SCALE as the others!), to kit out a second company.

I had fretted about how to paint them for some time. I’ve seen all manner of camoflage patters on Canadian M113s – some three colour brown-black-green, some three colour light green-dark gree-black, some two colour green and black, and some just green. I went with just green and didn’t paint on any insignia so the could double as either American or Israeli. Honestly in most pictures they’re generally so covered in grim and mud ans dust you can’t even tell what colour they were originally – so that’s just what I did – green with heavy weathering!

I also have 4 (+2 more ordered for a total of 6) Grizzly AVGPs, to kit out two more companies. These will take a little more work to assemble so they will be coming later….

Ideally I’d like to have a whole battalion with M113s but I just can’t afford that right now, so I have to work with what I’ve got – so we will have a mixed battalion.

2 comments: