Thursday, February 10, 2011

Schutztruppe Askaris


Getting ready for some Great War gaming in East Africa. These are the last of the Germans I have (for now…). Next I’m going to get cracking on the British. As the British would work for anywhere warmish I may work on the Turks after that… or I may get into the Zulu stuff… or possibly take up the Challenge and crank out some nappy British (half of the Renegade Miniatures order arrived yeaterday, I expect the rest today or tomorrow…).

(Remember: click on the pictures for a bigger version)


Here’s what I painted up over the last couple days. These are my own figures that I modeled, molded, and cast myself (four years ago!). The German NCOs are actually just figures that I made for the Vimy Project that I painted in khaki. The white/Khaki feldmuze probably isn’t all that accurate… but… oh well…

Here’s the entire force so far:


4 Feldkompagnie (or Zug… or Squads… depending on what scale I’m playing at…) of Schutztruppe, a unit of German Sailors (with an MG detachment), and assorted local volunteers, porters, and “Ruga-Ruga”. The latter three (local volunteers, porters, and “Ruga-Ruga”) are generic and could be used by anyone…

Dagnabbit! I totally forgot to put the MG team in that picture!? Ah well, you can see them HERE

I do have some more rifle armed irregulars to paint up and a bunch more spear and shield armed tribal warriors – so those contingents could increase a bit in the near future. Also I still have the moulds so I could potentially cast up hundreds more askaris… but to what purpose? I only have so much time (to paint) and so much space on the tabletop, and this seems like a reasonable sized force that would allow for some maneuver on my table.

Coming soon on Tim’s Miniature Wargaming Blog:

Very likely King’s African Rifles Askaris.

5 comments:

  1. That's a tidy force! Well sone. I like the vegetation, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow you have been

    prolific

    excellent quality
    I wish I had your energy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice. I like the long-and-lanky guys you sculpt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am impressed with the quality and details of the minatures, but may I ask where you find the background information that you base this army of minature on. I am curious about the resource.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, don't go thinking that this is any sort of exact representation of a particular historical unit...!

    Most of my info comes from Osprey's Armies in East Africa 1914-18 by Peter Abbott and the army lists from teh previous edition of Contemptible Little Armies by Chris Peers.

    I also have a books that I'm working my way through; The Great War in East Africa by Byron Farwell and Mimi and Toutou Go Forth by Giles Foden... and just picked up Battle in Africa 1879 - 1914 by Howard Whitehouse.

    I also have a copy of the Skirmish Elite book Tanga 1914 by Buck Surdu and Jamie Davis. I've had it a few year, and seem to recall giving it a read through, but can't remember any of it off the top of my head...

    ReplyDelete