Tuesday, February 16, 2016

More Medieval Fantasy Figures


A few more items rolling off the workbench after the long weekend…

(Remember: click on the pictures for a bigger version):


A unit of Bidowers for Lion Rampant (or scouts for Dragon Rampant). One (the chunkier one on the left) is from Crusader Miniatures, the others are all from Black Tree Design (though one – the slinger – is actually a Dark Age Anglo-Saxon, and the rest are Hundred Years War soldiers).


More Medieval Muslims – thought they’ll more likely see action as members of Frostgrave warbands. The fellow with the book (from Mega Minatures) I figured would be the apprentice to the fellow I painted last week. The Thug (with the swaord) is from the Black Tree Design Crusades/Warriors of Islam line. I’m not sure of the manufacturer of the archer – I got him in a trade with  Bob in Edmonton a few years back.


The wizard and apprentice together – with the beginnings of a warband behind them...

Does the guy in the white beard work as a wizard? Or should I find someone else and use him as a captain? I don’t know…  The more I look at him the more I think “Captain” rather than wizard…


Coming soon on Tim’s Miniature Wargaming Blog:

I did finish up a bunch more over the long weekend, but I’ll be posting them as a separate post in just a few minutes… 

4 comments:

  1. Have you started playing Lion Rampant or Dragon Rampant? I would be interested in hearing your perspective on those games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've played both once. I like them both.

      If you snoop around you can find the reports of the two games on the blog here (Dragon Rampant is in January 2016, Lion Rampant was October of 2014).

      In both reports I have a few comments about changes I MIGHT make - after I've played a few more games. I HATE tweaking games before I'd played at least a few games as written - until I get a sense of what the author was trying to do... and how things really play out... One game can't give you that perspective - especially one game with really bad dice rolls.

      Delete
  2. I really like lion rampant and over a few games the things that irritated me at first seemed to even themselves out, so yes give it a few goes I think you need a more ostentatious figure for your band, the current chap seems a bit understated, of course you could use him till you find a replacement then demote him!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, good! This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about - giving things a chance and seeing how they turn out. It irritates me to no end when people play one game (or even halfway through their first game) decided something doesn't work (when it may just be their understanding of it that doesn't work) and decide the game "sucks" or feel they need to start making major changes.

      (I actually have to admit I made a few tweaks to Frostgrave when we first started playing... but after a more than a few games, I've pretty much decided to drop those original house rules and stick with playing it as written!)

      Wait... which band do I need a more ostentatious figure in? The Bidower unit? The Middle-Eastern Frostgrave warband? Is it the Wizard, you mean? Yeah, I've pretty much decided to find a different figure for the wizard and use the white-bearded guy as a captain. I'm not sure the other wizard figures I have that I'm considering are all that much more "ostentatious"...? I guess their arms are waving around like they're making some sort of incantation - so they are more obviously wizards...

      Delete